Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Federar

What was it that converted me from a nonchalant observor into a believer? I beleive it was that magical backhand flick he made on the run, with an arrogance with which one swats a fly. Roddick had not done anything wrong- except that he had the gall to try and produce a winner against the emperor himself!
In that one second, I was transported into a transcendental world where mere mortals are but dots in a collective consciousness that only the great master could comprehend.
Do I sound like a bumbling idiot?I guess Federar makes fools of not only his opponents!I'm usually a big supporter of the under-dog in any situation. I'm not particularly sure of why this is so. Some of it definitely has to do with supporting the Indian cricket team since the cradle, but a persistant larger reason is non existant!Federar though, has a dramatic effect on me- I want him to crush all his opponents!Perhaps I am able to comprehend that his talent has a divine quality attatched to it. When Federar plays, there is no run of the mill 15,30, 40 game- its a work of art.I beleive Federar's game is a hand crafted work of art that has the capacity to transport the viewer into a parallel universe where each backhand, each forehand and each drop volley is created not so much to titilate, as to reaffirm that indeed this is how these shots are played in universe Federar.
Matches with opponents, therefore become less of competition and more of a master class. This brings me to another interesting observation I made. His opponents look less like challengers and more like imposters, who are trying desprately to usurp Federar from his rightful position at the zenith. Many come with a false bravado(Roddick) but walk away with their tails tucked in between their legs. Many certainly produce some superlative shots(Gonzalez), but the result is inevitably the same.
Are there no other talented players in the field?Certainly not.Men's tennis is peppered with talented players and exciting youngsters, but Federar edges out the opposition with his mental toughness and his unbeleivably high level of anticipation. I wish to make a distinction here between anticipation and general quickness.There are and there have been many players who have scampered around the court tirelessly, staying in the point for that extra shot and sometimes winning because of their persistance(Chang and Sanchez-Vicario). Federar, most often than not is off the block like a rocket, anticipates the opponents shot and reaches in enough time to create a comfort zone for himself, from which he can dictate the point, be it running the opponent around from the baseline itself or creating a strong opening to come in and finish off the point. And then again, when he is in a spot of bother he produces a magical lob or a breathtaking pass on the dead run that leaves you panting for more.
Why won't I love this guy I ask myself? The sport of tennis has seen many kings, but seldom an emperor who has ruled with such auhority as to stamp out the identity of the other players(almost, except Nadal of course).Yet, will he conquer the dusty red clay of Roland Garros and truly prove himself to be a celestial being?I'm waiting for May!!!!

30 comments:

Ram said...

grrr- avana paathaale enakku pathittu varum :P - he has to lose a few more before i become a fan of the man. :D
i like his game all the same...it's hard not to :P

Anonymous said...

=)) even I want him to lose some, just so that I know he is human and can win more

Anonymous said...

good one as usual written with authority

Shreya said...

Good stuff Rams... Good to see you back in your element :) Now keep at it and don't go off into an eternal hibernation :P

Ram said...

good one as usual written with authority
-what's this all about?

Shreya said...

Ramya- You have been tagged!!!

You have to write down 6 weird habits about yourself... and let others get to know the REAL YOU!!

Anonymous said...

oh shit! my mum wrote that and I think she did it when I was logged into mine!!!!!
hey Shreya, sooper, will do that too

Siva said...

first time here. saw the "magical backhand flick" that u were referring to. Federer should take credit for inventing that shot.

I still feel he's not amidst talented players with a variety in game (very predictable nowadays) unlike Sampras' period. hard to name one player who goes for good first serve and volley. under pressure I've seen Federer make unforced errors but not for long is he under pressure.

I'll still maybe believe he's the best player ever if he wins over Nadal in this French open ;)

Ram said...

lol, ok :P

Anonymous said...

you do have alot of valid points there.
I do feel though that it is not the case of lack of talented players as much as the case of one man being so phenomenally talented. Players like Roddick or even Nadal would have been more succesful had Federer not been on the scene or if were any less talented. There's nothing wrong with their talent, theres something extra extra to federer.
French open is definitely a stumbling block as far as Federer goes.
I personally can never say a layer is the greatest ever. I find it had to compare across era's when there are so many different variables in place.

Siva said...

Roddick = talent, eh? not able to equate them. Nadal has talent in changing his game so quickly w.r.to the surface but not a Jack of all courts.

I believe in players like Andy Murray more than Roddick or Nadal. Nadal might end up very much like Michael Chang one day unless he gets offensive..

" personally can never say a layer is the greatest ever. I find it had to compare across era's when there are so many different variables in place"

- agree with u totally but as u said Federer's extra talent sometimes makes me feel he could be the best across era's too

Anonymous said...

I odnt think Roddick or Nadal lack talent, I wld revert to the same point that Federer makes them look mediocre.
Ya thats interesting that Federer's extra would make him the greatest across era's
Yet, call me a scpetic or what you want, nowadays the word great is used too liberally, plus I really cannot imagine how Federer would have fared against Borg, Laver and going back further, the likes of Tilden. makes it very difficult for me to say his greatness cuts across era's

Siva said...

hmm.. lets see if he's able to break the jinx this french open.

Anonymous said...

yup, all great palyers on other surfaces seem to be afflicted by this jinx, sampras, edberg, becker...

Siva said...

and all 3 r natural serve & volley players :) Love all 3 players jus bcos of that reason. nowadays am so bored watching baseline game :-(

Anonymous said...

I agree!Edberg is my all time favourite- really enjoyed his rivalry with Becker- what a game, what class!

Siva said...

same here!! Stefan Edberg is my all time fav too!

Anonymous said...

wow!ya I literally used to worship the ground he served and volleyed on!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow!ya I literally used to worship the ground he served and volleyed on!!!!

Ram said...

naalaikku Nadal-Roddick game paakka indian wells poren. Federer out of the competition already =)) muhahaha, i love cheap thrills :P

Anonymous said...

Cheap thrills are liked by c---- persons:p.JOkes apart, enjoyyy the match!

Ram said...

i did :D

Nadal beat Roddick 6-4, 6-4

Djokovic beat Murray 6-2, 6-3

Hantuchova beat Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-4 to win the title.

it was an exhausting day with the temperature hovering around 105 deg F throughout my stay there! phew, worse than Madras ;) -the drive was awesome though ;)

PS: Nadal beat Djokovic 6-2, 7-5 today to win the title :D

Anonymous said...

kool! I like Nadal, I think roddick is samma waste:) welcome to madras nenachiya? been watching our boys and their escapades? bunch of nutcrackers

Ram said...

nutcrackers alright- they'll crack the Srilankan nut on Friday :D

Anonymous said...

I like ur eternal optimism:) ya man they better beat them- I'm 100% with our boys too, but they scare me with their display sometimes!

Ram said...

ellaam nalla padiyaa nadakkum, bayapadaadha :)

Siva said...

Nadal Vs Fedex showdown tomorrow! Fedex has been playing some amazing tennis except for the semis with Davidenko. Lets see if he's able to beat Nadal this time. either way I have a feeling its gonna be a 4 setter decider... have to wake up at 6am tomorrow. was so upset watching the womens finals today :(

Siva said...

And Rafael makes history eluding Fedex history! what a match!

Anonymous said...

very disappointed again!too many unforced errors, squandered too many opps, but what to do? Just not his day I guess

Siva said...

Federer had no strategy meeting Nadal for the 3rd time. Nadal stuck to the same game plan - play to his backhand till errors. I couldnt help but admire Fedex's single handed backhands. But still French being my favourite I like watching Fedex lose to another true clay court champion :)