Sunday, May 20, 2007

Music that eats my time, but feeds my soul

Back to blogging!
So, here I am racking my non existant brain thinking, what should I write about, what should I write about, when the topic literally floats through my head.
So, me racking my brains does not necessarily mean that I have devoted my entire concentration mediating it. Rather it means that, in between fits of distraction, I make my mind wander through the fog that is the 'issue in question', whatever that may be.
The process of mediating leads me to the path breaking conclusion that when the fog lifts, my mind will still be blank! Aah, I can see a few smirks, freeze it right there. My thought process might look exactly like my expression at many a time- absolutely vacant, but yet, at many of these moments, my mind is experiencing a euphoric sensation of wonder contemplating a strain of melody. So my dear friends I take a decision to write about something that has become innate in me- Music.
Many a time, we all think that such and such a thing is an extension of our personality. In my case, its a part of it. From as far back as I can remember, I have always quenched a part of my creative thirst in the sea of music. This, however, does not necessarily mean that I understood the opportunities to further my musical journey. As a kid, I repelled efforts on the parts of my elders to hone my musical sense. While I rejected organized musical teaching, I tried to grasp whatever I could. The result is a passion for music that is deep seated.
Coming to think of it, music is one of the things in my life I have displayed contstant commitment towards and its something I seek to better with every passing day. I dont think I have displayed an abiding interest to anything else in my life, at least not to the extent to which it is evident in my music. Doesn't say much for me, but then it is an inescaable fact. So without any further ado, let me list some of my favourite songs. Oh C'mon!If you've gotten this far, you can read a bit more!!!!

My Top 10, in no particular order

Ilaya Nila- Payanangal Mudivathillai, hits the spot anytime!
Jadoo Teri Nazar- Darr, love the lyrics
Kadhalin Deepam- Thambi Ku Endha Ooru, One of the most romantic songs ever!
Valaiosai- Satya- SPB, Ilayaraja, Kamal, need I say more?;)
Ithadil Kadhai- Unnal Mudiyum Thambi- Ditto;)
Poonguyil- Nammavar- ditto;), I think I have a one track mind!!!!!hahaha
Ninukori- Agni Natchatiram- Picks me up everytime!
Thottal Poo Malarum- New, evergreen always
Like a Prayer- Madonna, Amazing voice, amazing song!
Last Christmas- Wham, one of the most beautiful songs!!!
There are tons more I can add to this list, but this space is just not enough!!!!!

38 comments:

Arvind said...

Thats a good list!! I'm surprised u have'nt included kanne kalaimane,another kamal sensation!!!

Anonymous said...

hmm thats a nice song, its among my other favs:)

sansmerci said...

music is one illusion (love) man can fall for anytime without gettin hurt .. yea sometimes my mp3 says 'low battery' wen i get depressed .. but anytime and anyone wud agree its one of man's best creations .. who is not in love with it? ... awesome write up rums .. u shud consider writing as well .. with music ..

Anonymous said...

thanks di, u always pick me up!!!!:)

Ram said...

good to see committment being associated with you in some way :P

nice songs! one small correction. Nammavar's MD is not Raja. It is Mahesh ;)

Anonymous said...

hey Ram, thanks for the correction, I think I got lost just thinking of those songs!!!!

charan said...

hmmmmmm..rammy.it's a sweet blog..you got sweeter voice...i wud wish to see you as a pro in singing....if nt nw.may b in d near future.dont stop wit listening.do keep singing(paadreee en rasaathi.........)

Anonymous said...

hey Kali!!!!Thanks so much for the comment:)

Marauder said...

Hey Ramya,

You stole the words out of my mouth. In particular, the part on organized music being thrust on you is pretty much in sync with my case. I forcibly didn't make the grade in classical music and thought I escaped thanks to my Dad's transfer. But still I make up for that disinterest with some of the best attention I could pay to a job and it refers to listening to music of almost all forms.In fact when I listen to music and start working, my work automatically gets done speedily without much fuss :). High powers of concentration :D

For an Ilayaraja fan, you must probably try listening to this one from "Poonthottam", "Meetadha oru veenai",No Kamal, No SPB. Murali
:( and Hariharan instead.Who cares for the actor anyway?:) For a medium which goes beyond language, an actor is hardly an obstacle :).

Anonymous said...

Hey Sree, thanks for your comments, I will def listen to those 2 songs u mentioned, for me theres no greater joy than discovering new jewels, esp Ilayaraja's. The best part of my 'job' is that I get to listen to music!!!!I would not have it any other way:D
I was wondering who this was until I went to ur blog,Not bad, so many sentences w/o any trace of mokkai:p,:d, just kidding!lol

Marauder said...

Changed from "Sree" to "Marauder". No more confusion. okay ;)?

The movie is Poonthottam and song is "Meetadha oru Veenai"

A couple more to feed your soul :p

"Enna solli paaduvadho" from "En mana vaanil"

"Kannalae Kaadhal Kavidhai" from "Aathma" (99% think it is Ilayaraja's music)

"Appadi paakaradhunna vendaam" from "Ivan" (must be a familiar one)

"Kadhal nee dhaana" from "Time" must be a familiar one again I guess)

Anonymous said...

hey!thanks for ur list, am off to music india right now:d, actually u have rekindled my interest with these songs, I had forgotten abt them!:)

Marauder said...

Hi,

I don't care if you brand me as 'mokkai' for churning out so many songs incessantly.

This is my winamp play list at this moment of time, again many of those not so familiar ones of Ilayaraja. Thought I would run thru.

Song "Thendralai kandu kolla" from "Nilavae Mugam kaatu"

"Kaatril varum geethamae" from "Oru naal oru kanavu"

"Velli Nilave" from "Nandavana Thaeru"

"Kaadhal Vaanile" from Raasayya (SPB!)

"Pachamal Poovu" from "Kizhakku Vaasal" (SPB)

"Oh Butterfly" From "Meera"

"Ooru sanam" from "Mella Thirandhadhu Kadhavu"

"Keladi Kanmani" from "Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal" (SPB encore!)

Anonymous said...

too goooooooodd man!!!! keep me updated!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm adding anotehr one, u mite already know it,
edho onnu from solla marandha kadhai

Marauder said...

Hi,

Am late, courtesy a broadband bungle ;)

The next consignment :D

"Vellai puraa ondru" from "Pudhukavidhai"

"Paadum nilavae then kavidhai"

"Kannane nee vara kaathirundhaen"

"Nilavu thoongum neram"

"Thendral vandhu ennai thodum"

"Malayoram mayilae velayadum kuyile"

"Pazhamudhir cholai" from "Varusham 16"

"Thenmadurai vaigai nadhi" and "Muthamizh kaviyae varuga" from "Dharmathin Thalaivan"

To be continued ... :p

Anonymous said...

am happy to say that I already listent o some of them!!I love this list,keep it coming:)

Marauder said...

Okay, looks like I'm beginning to run out of totally unfamiliar songs, but would still try to eat your time :)

"Vaa vaa vaa kanna vaa" from "Velaikaaran"

"Oliyile therivadhu" and "Paatu solli" from "Azhagi"

"Chinna chinna thooral" and "Kaalayil kaettadhu koil mani" from "Senthamizh Paattu"

"Aathorathile Aalamaram" from "Kasi"

"Vanathu tharagayo" from "Poonthottam"

"Nenjukkulle innaarunnu" from "Ponnumani"

Thinking in progress :p

Anonymous said...

Ty!:D

Marauder said...

"Nila kaayum neram" from "Chembaruthi"

"Sindhiya venmani" and "Paaramal Paartha nenju" from "Poonthotta Kaavalkaran"

"Pootu vaitha oru vatta nilaa" from "Idhayam"

"Pillai nila" from "Neengal Kaettavai"

"Mayanginaen solla thayanginaen" from "Naane Raaja Naane Mandhiri"

"Ninaithadhu Yaaro" from "Paatukku oru thalaivan"

"Medhuva Medhuva" from "Anna Nagar Mudhal Theru"

"Chinna chinna roja poove" and "Oru kiliyin thanimayilae" from "Poo vizhi vaasalilae"

This should be a list of rare ones in the sense that they don't strike at the first instance

Anonymous said...

keep it coming.lol

Marauder said...

I'm back.

"Kalyana Then nila" from "Mounam Sammadham"

"Aanandha Raagam" from "Paneer Pushpangal"

"Maalai sudum vaelai" from "Naan mahaan alla"



"Kadhal Oviyam" from "Alaigal Oyvadhillai"

"Poongartu un paer solla" from "Vetri Vizha"

"Un paarvayil oraayiram kavidhai"

"Rathiriyil poothirukkum"

"Raasathi unna"

"Poongatru pudhiranadhu"

The last two are definitely not rare, but couldn't resist not listing two of my favorite songs where music and lyrics complement each other so brilliantly.

Search in Progress .... :p

Anonymous said...

search still on?lol

Siva said...

Nice one. In an attempt to document my love for music (sounding corporate ;), I started a blog a few months back.
http://myfavouritelyricsandmusic.blogspot.com/

[disclaimer: most of the links are broken :( ]

Thanks to ur blog, I remembered Wham!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Siva, thanks for your comment, I'll check out ur blog, nice to see someone who can relate to my liking for music:)

Unknown said...

Hello there!...I'm gonna be stalking you on your blog now..:-P

Anonymous said...

stalkers by nature dont reveal themselves, so I wont ask who u are.
Just tell me y ur stalking me?lol

Marauder said...

For someone who has still not seen Captain Marvel's only worthwhile movie in the last decade, u shud listen to "Vaanavillaey" from Ramana, both versions of Sadhana Sargam and Hariharan.

Have u listened to this song from Manasellam called "Nee Thoongum Nerathil". Hariharan and Raja together at their best seriously.

SR said...

add some pix 2 the blog da!!

Anonymous said...

po da vetti osmberi:P

sansmerci said...

rums m addin u to my fav list in blog update urs busy babe

sansmerci said...

welcome to my blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

hey sure di, I'll do it, but lemme figure out how first, I'm coming back 30th, wanna meet u asap!

Ram said...

June=1
July=2
August=3
September=4

that's the bare minimum, btw :P

Rider on the Storm said...

Its been a while since you blogged? whats up?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thaks for adding my blog:)

Marauder said...

One year just flew by.

Here's the shraddanjali to Dreamerznook. RIP :D